Permanent USB Hack for WS500

• I note others have encouraged Wakespeed to incorporation an accessable usb port for the WS500 to take ongoing advantage of the phenomenal OGM WS500 Configuration and Dashboard tool.

So I sourced a 5m USB A to USB B cable with both connectors insert molded at a 90  deg left hand angle.  The cable is from L-Com.com in Irvine CA, PN  CA90LA-90LB-5M.   The angles allow the USB printer plug to face down inside the WS500 and the other end directs the USB into the laptop back so there is more clearance with the chart table fiddle.  Installed today thru the bilge and the PC on the nav table now can communicate directly with the WS500 in the afte cabin on the engine room bulkhead.

I filed an eased notch in the bottom of the regulator cast aluminum Faraday cage below the USB port with a 3/16" chainsaw file, using an X motion at the end to prevent sharp corners, This makes a perfect snug fit to the cable. 

The watertight lip engaging the oring in the cover is removed, so there is a slight possibility of water ingress with total subersion, but I suspect that would not be my primary concern at that point.  

• This will be handy for many customers. Thanks for taking the time to document this hack. :)

To maintain IP67 a grommet might do the trick.  I always kept this cheap little kit onboard.

https://www.harborfreight.com/hardware/o-rings-grommets/grommets.html

• Thanks Rick.  Good idea.

Would it be feasible to add a datestamp to Fora postes?  This is a rapidly develooping area and  it would be valuable to be able to calibrate "Just released..." postings.

• Ah, I see the time sisnce posting is shown in gray on th4 header bar.

• @Bill this is from Al Thomason, Chief Engineer on the WS500. Upon seeing the forum thread that I sent to him, he replied...

----
    Fun!

We never added an external USB socket for two reasons:
    1. Space along that edge of connectors:  An extra connector would have required a larger case
    2. Protection from the elements: The USB is not used all the time, only during monitoring - having it outside would result it in being all gunked up over time.  Even if we shipped it with some type of cap, that would get lost quickly...
    It does not seem to be widely known, but all the ASCII data can be sent/received via CAN (Using the RV-C Terminal Protocol).  

It is how OPEs 'Tether' works.   In my personal vessel, I set up an RPi with a CAN-HAT and write a really simple Terminal to CAN bridge program, then I SSHed into the RPI using Putty, and that is how I interacted with the regulator during trials vs. having the route a long USB cable.  

I had talked to Rick a few times about extending his app to include CAN connection support, but did not get taken up.  

Ha, one could do the same with any Attached CAN computer:  Ala, the Victron Cerbos:  Small program running in user space and SSH in.

I know of another chap who does this as well, even is able to remotely access his vessel as he has set up some type of VPN into his boat. 

But we are very much into the advanced Hobbyist space, along the lines of Signal-K.

-al-
    ----

• After Al talked with me about this I reached out to Dragonfly to see if they were interested in working together or providing support for this project, in both Windows and MacOS flavors (maybe linux too), but I never got a reply.

Unfortunately without their support, we would never sell enough to even cover our costs.

Crowdfunding?